Receive updates and notifications via WhatsApp
Please notify us:
If you are reading this on your phone – please link to https://bit.ly/SALLR-yes
If you are reading this on your desktop – please add us to your phone’s address book and send us a “hello” on WhatsApp. Our number is 041 373 4322.
Amended Covid-19 Temporary Employee/Employer Relief Scheme: Notice 240 Of 2020
We still receive a number of queries pertaining to the UIF benefits and wish to bring to your attention the latest notice issued in this regard, download it here, that provides some clarity in respect of the following issues:
- ‘temporary closure of business operations’ includes both the total or partial closure;
- where an employer, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, closes its operations or part thereof for a three-month period (or a shorter period), the affected employees shall qualify for the COVID-19 benefits;
- the salary to be taken into account in calculating the benefits is capped at R17 712.00 per month per employee (on the normal income replacement sliding scale as provided for in the Unemployment Insurance Act);
- in the scenario where an employee’s income, in terms of the income replacement sliding scale, falls below R3 500.00, such employee will receive a replacement income of R3 500.00;
- the general principle is that an employee is not entitled to claim benefits under both the COVID-19 temporary relief scheme and by means of similar types of provisions provided by a bargaining council (subject to certain restrictions);
- the required memorandum of agreement’s application has been simplified; and
- an employee is not entitled to utilise the COVID-19 benefit so as to earn more remuneration than he or she would ordinarily have earned.
During the recent live broadcasts of the SALLRs’ 36th annual seminar, held from Wednesday 12 August 2020 to Thursday 3 September 2020, the SALLR team conducted various surveys covering a variety of issues and, set out herein, are the combined results obtained from such five live broadcast sessions. Kindly note that the percentages have been rounded off.
As always, our workbook is a stunner – simply put, it is 383 pages jam-packed with all the essential tools you need to keep up-to-date and ready to deal with all the challenges you are currently facing.