UIF Assistance If The Operations Are Closed Down
Temporary employee relief scheme
25. The UIF may fund distressed companies directly by means of the temporary employee relief scheme allowance.
26. To qualify, a company must prove that:
26.1 it closed operations;
26.2 as a result of the coronavirus; and
26.3 suffered financial injury.
27. The UIF has provided a dedicated line that will assist all employers/employees/ bargaining councils on 012 337 1997, or relevant key information or changes will be placed on the department’s website (www.labour.gov.za) and the application process may be obtained via firstname.lastname@example.org.
28. If a company is successful, its employees may receive salary benefits up to a maximum of R17 712.00.
Disaster management fund
29. If the employer is forced, as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic, to close its business for a period and send employees home, this will constitute a temporary layoff.
30. If the employer is unable to pay its employees during this period, the employer can apply for this benefit from the UIF.
31. This benefit will be at a flat rate equal to the minimum wage (R3 500.00) per employee for the period of the closure or a maximum period of three months.
32. In summary, the differences between the temporary relief scheme and national disaster benefit, as indicated above, are as follows:
|Temporary relief scheme||National disaster benefit|
…/continues in article 4 of 4
A short video answering the following questions you may have and regarding the upcoming live broadcasts of the SOUTH AFRICAN LABOUR LAW REPORTS (SALLR) 36th annual seminar.
During the recent live broadcasts of the SALLRs’ 36th annual seminar, held from Wednesday 12 August 2020 to Thursday 3 September 2020, the SALLR team conducted various surveys covering a variety of issues and, set out herein, are the combined results obtained from such five live broadcast sessions. Kindly note that the percentages have been rounded off.
As always, our workbook is a stunner – simply put, it is 383 pages jam-packed with all the essential tools you need to keep up-to-date and ready to deal with all the challenges you are currently facing.